Once upon a time there was a humble artist named Bo who made t-shirts. He called his one-at-a-time silk screening shop “Eat More Kale”. He was loved by t-shirt wearers, small-scale farmers and kale eaters worldwide, but particularly in Vermont, where he lived. [I have seeded and weeded in my “eat more kale” t-shirt, and Bo very kindly sent me more than fifty “eat more kale” stickers when I was working with students at a nearby high school to create a new kale chip recipe.]
One day he received a cease-and-desist letter from a large fast food company called Chick-Fil-A (full story here). Apparently Chick-Fil-A thought fast food eaters would be confused by the Vermont t-shirt maker’s name and their own slogan “eat mor chikin”. No one had ever heard of anyone walking into a Chick-Fil-A asking for a kale burger or kale fries, as the restaurant did not offer any kale dishes (this, ironically was the one thing the two businesses had in common: neither actually sold kale). Still, they felt threatened by the small (though thanks to their bullying action, then quickly growing) appreciation of the vegetable promoting slogan and were pushing legal action to close the t-shirt man down.
The people of Vermont, including the governor, and many others worldwide wouldn’t stand for it, and came together in favor of Bo. Governor Shumlin launched “Team Kale” to support Bo’s fight and create a legal defense fund. “Get out of the way, Chick-Fil-A” he declared as he announced the effort to protect all small business.
This was at a time when persevering protesters kept the pressure on Wall Street in favor of Main Street, and Congress (having been gobbled up by Big Food) had just redefined pizza as a vegetable, and was seen as yet another example of big business hubris. In defense of “the little guy” and the right to healthy eating, the people poured their support in Bo’s direction.
They did things such as (and I hope you will too):
- Sign Bo’s petition to support small business here:
- Join Bo on Facebook
- Follow @teamkale on twitter
- Buy a “Team Kale” t-shirt and/or sticker to support Bo’s legal defense fund by clicking here.
- And support both Bo’s efforts and your personal health with a homemade, local, organic and vegetarian Potato-Kale Soup from Mama D’s Kitchen, available the week of Dec 12 at The Farmstand Coop (order by midnight Wed for pick-up on Thursday). All proceeds will go to “Team Kale”.
- UPDATE: Since the soup special sold out quickly, Potato-Kale Soup will be sold for another week. Order at The Farmstand Coop by midnight on Wed, Dec 21st for pick-up on the 22nd. And, thank you!
- To support Bo in spirit and your health for real, feast on kale (and all glorious greens)! Here’s the link for my potato-kale soup recipe.
Let’s give this story a fairy tale ending, and let Bo and kale live happily ever after.