A nice vegetarian stock can easily be made at home. I don’t use a specific recipe, since many different vegetables (including the stems, ends, trimmings too tough to eat directly) in varying quantities can be used. Some of the more common stock ingredients include onions, garlic, leeks, scallions, carrots, potatoes, celery, mushrooms, tomatoes as well as parsnips, sweet potatoes, corn or zucchini for a bit of sweetness.
- 2-3 quarts water
- 1-2 onions and/or leeks, peeled and quartered
- 3-6 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1-2 celery stalks, cut into large pieces
- 1-2 carrots, cut into large pieces
- any additional vegetables from above list, in large pieces
- a bay leaf
- 10 peppercorns
- handful of favorite herbs
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
Combine all ingredients in a large stock pot. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer, cover, and allow flavors to combine for an hour. Strain out (and compost if possible) the remaining pieces and enjoy your homemade vegetarian stock as is, or use it in cooking.