Not a tomato quiche, not a dessert apple pie either, but a perfectly balanced, sweet-savory dinner pie which helps you use up those green tomatoes on your counter in the fall.
Green Tomato, Apple, Custard Pie
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup or honey
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cups sliced green tomatoes
- 1 apple, sliced
- 1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 pie crust
- freshly ground nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 375º.
- In a medium-sized bowl, beat eggs and add milk, salt, maple syrup and cinnamon.
- Arrange green tomato and apple slices evenly in the pie crust.
- Pour egg mixture to cover. Sprinkle cheese on top and finish with a grind of fresh nutmeg.
- Place on cookie sheet (just in case of drips) and bake for 30-40 minutes.
Allow to cool for a few minutes (a pie like this is at its best when served warm) and enjoy a quick and easy meal (served with a salad) with enough left over for a slice for breakfast or lunch tomorrow.