Ready to make the simplest cake you’ve ever made? And, ready for it to be good for you too? If you have people in your life with food allergies to dairy, soy or eggs, and you’re reducing or staying all together away from sugar, well, look no farther, this is the cake for you!
For five years of my childhood, my parents followed the macrobiotic diet. On this vegan diet, birthday cake options were few. However, a couscous cake with maple-tahini frosting was always a winner!
Maple-Apple Couscous Cake
- 2 cups of apple juice, pear juice or apple cider
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup, raw honey or rice syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup couscous (preferably whole wheat)
- 1/2 cup raisins and/or sultanas, dried cranberries
- 1 apple or pear, cut into small pieces
- 3/4 cup tahini (= sesame paste). You can substitute another nut or seed butter.
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- roughly 1/4 cup water, or as needed, to give the mixture into a nice spreadable consistency
- almond slivers and/or shredded coconut
- Bring apple juice, sweetener, vanilla, cinnamon, raisins and apples to a boil. After 1-2 minutes, add the couscous and let simmer over a low flame for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and let sit, covered for 15 minutes.
- Firmly press the apple couscous mixtures into a baking dish, bowl or other container which you want to use as a mold. Press firmly and smooth out the top (it will become the bottom once the cake is cooled).
- While cake is cooling, prepare the frosting. In a small saucepan heat the tahini, maple syrup and water until well blended.
- When cake is completely cooled, turn over on to a large plate or other serving platter. While cooling the couscous pulls together, naturally separating from the sides of the dish. Cover the top liberally with the frosting and encourage it to run down the sides.
- Sprinkle the top with slivered almonds or shredded coconut. Slice and enjoy. Since this cake contains only nutritious goodness, feel free to enjoy it for dessert, breakfast, lunch or snack. One of the many benefits of eating healthier!