Enjoy the best of summer freshness by having more salad meals. You can put them together in so many different and creative ways, depending on your mood and what you have in the garden or in the fridge. You don’t have to cook, so they are cool and quick to prepare. You can enjoy them at home, or put one in a container with a lid and take it with you on a picnic, hike, trip to the beach… bring an extra fork and share.
If you prefer to get started by following a recipe, here’s a good one to get you on your way. It is based on one suggested by City Market Food Coop in Burlington, Vermont.
Summertime Green Salad with Buttermilk Dressing
- 3/4 cup buttermilk (now, if you have just followed the “Homemade Butter and Buttermilk” post, you will have fresh buttermilk waiting to be put to good use — here you go!)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice (1/2 lemon freshly squeezed if you have it)
- 1 teaspoon honey (preferably raw honey)
- 1-2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 2 (or more) tablespoons finely chopped fresh herbs, such as parsley, basil, mint, tarragon, summer savory, chives, or half the amount if you are using dried herbs.
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1-2 heads of lettuce
- 1 cucumber
- 1 avocado
1. Whisk together the dressing ingredients until will combined. You can also to this by putting all ingredients in a glass jar with a lid and shaking.
2. Wash greens, cut to desired size and put in bowl together with sliced cucumber and cubed avocado.
3. When ready to eat, add dressing to green salad, toss and serve. If you like, sprinkle some additional herbs, grated parmesan cheese, sliced almonds, shredded carrots, slices of hard boiled egg, or olives and finish with salt and pepper.
Put together a delicious summertime meal by serving this salad together with your freshly made butter and a whole-grain baguette.